Frequently Asked Questions
Questions About Our Products
- I am concerned that I may have had a reaction to one of your products. What do I do?
If you are concerned that you may have a reaction or did have a reaction to one of our products, please contact our Health and Safety line at 1-800-849-7112, option 2. In the case of life-threatening emergencies, please dial 911 or call your health care provider.
- Are your products safe for pregnant women to use?
We recommend that any expectant mother check with her physician before changing her skin care routine with our products, or any other line of products.
- I am a Vegan. What products can I use?
Many of our products are vegan. We recommend reviewing the product ingredients list on the label for the most up-to-date information. If you have a specific product question, please email email@example.com.
- How long will my Burt's Bees products stay fresh and what is the best way to store them?
Burt's Bees products are made with natural ingredients. We purposely present our products in smaller portions so you finish them while their ingredients are still fresh and providing their maximum effectiveness.
As such, we recommend you store creams and oils in a cool, dark place away from direct sunlight and heat. Creams may be stored in their cartons for extra protection.
- How do I determine the expiration date of a particular product?
Thank you for your interest in the shelf life of our products. Because our products are made with natural ingredients, we are unable to provide an expiration date. Instead, we provide lot code numbers that are printed in directly onto the product.
- If the product is a glass jar, the lot code is located towards the bottom on the side of the glass or on the very bottom. In the case of products in tubes, the lot code is imprinted in the plastic on the crimp of the tube. If it is a lip product, the lot code is located either on the label or under the twist mechanism.
- The lot code is six to seven digits long and starts with a 0, 1, 2 or 3. To read the lot code, the first three numbers are the day of the year the product was made (aka Julian Date). The next two digits are the year, and the last two digits are a batch number that we use internally for identification. For example, a lot code of 0400901 translates to the product being made on February 9, 2009 and is from Batch Number 1.
Our products should be in good quality condition for 3 years. We recommend that our products are used within 12 months after opening since they are natural products. This includes keeping them out of extreme temperatures and direct sunlight. In general, any difference in texture or consistency of one of our products is often associated with it being a natural product. If you are unsure if your product is still of good quality, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and provide further information on the product consistency, smell and texture.
- Why do you use aluminum packaging for some of your products?
We use aluminum packaging because it can be recycled efficiently in most communities, along with your soda and beer cans. Our aluminum containers are lined with a material that prevents the product from penetrating and dissolving the aluminum.
- Where are Burt's Bees products made?
Over 95% of our products are made right in our own manufacturing plant in Durham, NC. The rest are made by other respectable American manufacturers.
- Help, I forgot to remove my lip balm from my pocket before doing my wash!
Here are few suggestions for removing lip balm from clothing that has gone through the wash and dry cycles:
- Soak clothing in boiling water with detergent. Repeat until the stain is removed.
- Turn washing machine to the highest heat setting and wash with detergent.
- If these attempts fail to remove stains, try commercial stain-removers or an Earth-friendly dry cleaner.
- Do you honor the lip balm tube recycling program?
Unfortunately, we no longer honor the lip balm recycling program. The program was meant to promote recycling and Green living, but the lip balms we received in the mail were often over-packaged with bubble wrap and excessive taping. Instead of succeeding as a positive Earth-friendly effort, the program was creating un-recyclable trash. We regret that we have had to phase out this program, but hope that you will continue that recycling effort on your own.
- Are your products safe for pets?
Our products are made from natural ingredients. However, we have never tested our products on animals, and our products are not meant for consumption. If you have concerns about using a product on your pet or if you have a pet that has ingested a product, please contact your veterinarian.
- Do you test on animals and do your products contain animal-derived ingredients?
Burt's Bees does NOT conduct product or ingredient tests of any kind on animals. A few of our products contain ingredients derived from animals such as beeswax, royal jelly, milk and carmine.
- I am allergic to bees. Can I still use your products?
We do not use actual bee venom in our products – only bee by products such as honey, beeswax, royal jelly and honey powder. However, if you are allergic to bee by products, then we do not suggest using our products. We recommend that you contact your health care provider when changing your skin care regimen to find out which products are best for you.
- Are Burt's Bees products different from other "natural" products like those found in other personal care lines?
Yes! The term "natural" is used very loosely today, especially about personal care products. Many companies use petroleum-based ingredients, like mineral oil, chemical additives and preservatives, but call their products "natural" because they add a few botanical extracts. Burt's Bees is different. We do not use cheap fillers, mineral oil or chemical preservatives.
We also list a percentage natural for every product we make. We don't need to hide behind false claims. Instead, we stand behind our ingredients and our products.
Visitto learn more about what "natural" is — and what it isn't.
- Where can I get Burt's Bees products?
Burt's Bees website and Beauty Bar are the only authorized sellers of Burt’s Bees in the Philippines. To guarantee that you get the genuine and fresh Burt's Bees product of your choice, purchase from our online store, or any Beauty Bar branch or online store. Burt's Bees does not offer its products through individuals, independent boutiques or unauthorized online retailers. To be certain that you are purchasing authentic Burt's Bees products, please click here to find the Beauty Bar store nearest you.